Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Orange LM Hunt TR'S

Nice one Barend.

Who's got the pics of the " Rapid Riders " ??????

That was FUN.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Dion, thanks for the kind words, I look forward to your next trip, it was great to meet you and Bryan.

Thanks Barend and ET1 for the sms and pm, I enjoyed your company aswell and would open up our waters for your groups anytime (just take my advice on the best times to come here).

Some lovely pics oom Herminator. Your brother's harmonica was one of my highlights.

Thanks for a great weekend gents, even with the bad viz and high flows on Friday

Again Chris, thanks for a well organised and managed trip.

I have about 40 pics in total ( Klaas misgissed ) which i will put onto a disc.

How do I get the disc to you? Padded Postal ??? or what.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Again Chris, thanks for a well organised and managed trip.

I have about 40 pics in total ( Klaas misgissed ) which i will put onto a disc.

How do I get the disc to you? Padded Postal ??? or what.
    Thanks Herman, it was a pleasure. I am up in Jozi tomorrow, we could meet somewhere to get the disc, otherwise just post it to me, no worries. Will pm my postal details if necessary.

Default Thursday

Dion and I arrived at Vendutiekop at around 15:30 with just enough time to wet a line or two. Said some quick hellos to Herman and Jan. As usual Herman did not disappoint by popping a nice cold Windhoek in my hands.

Johan, the farm manager then drove us down to the river and we passed Barend, Gawie and Hugo making their way back to the farmhouse. They hadn’t had any luck but had seen quite a vast array of nature’s bounty including a huge otter, vultures, jackals and various other wildlife. It truly is a wild place situated in the middle of nowhere. Stunning!

The Kromelmboog River was pretty spectacular. Very clear and looked extremely fishy. It is a pretty small stream but they have put in a weir in a gap between a natural rock formation which has resulted in a long pool of around 700m, if not more, that is about 50m wide lined with reeds and trees on either side.

We started off fishing from the wall of this weir upstream without any success. There was a good hatch starting but no rises in the nearby vicinity. We kept glancing downstream of the weir wishing it was summer as that is some prime nymphing water right there.

Johan spotted some activity further upstream of the pool and after watching for a while we saw that it was pretty constant so decided to venture up to see what was happening. It was very tough getting through the growth to spots where you could even get a roll cast going. We spotted quite a few large catfish showing off their whiskers and had a cast at a few of these.

As we were making our way along we saw the surface of the water looking disturbed, almost as if it was riffles created by sub surface rocks, but on closer inspection realised it was a school of fish feeding. This was made up of 20 – 30 smallmouth of pretty decent proportions head and tailing as they sipped insects off the surface. I would guess some of the bigger specimen were in the mid-2kg range.

Now to get a cast to those fish was something else... They were in the middle of the river so you had to make a cast of around 25 – 30 m with your backcast having to fit between a gap in the trees of about 4m while casting over reeds that stood 8’ high all while suffering from a massive case of “viskoors”.

Inevitably we managed to land our flies just 2m short or, just when you were about to unleash your forward cast you hooked either a reed, a tree or your fishing buddy. We did get in one or two casts into the feeding zone but these were promptly ignored. Eventually the feeding subsided as darkness was closing in so we had to call it quits. It was an amazing experience and I have never seen anything like it. The water was literally alive, that is how actively they were feeding.

When we got back the fires were lit and the beer was flowing. On the farm they have this fantastic pub with an indoor braai and our first night was spent in there chomping fantastic t-bone steaks, chips, veggies, downing ponchos for pudding, tying flies, last minute rigging up etc.

Dion owns a signage company and presented Herman with some awesome vinyl stickers for his car. Hopefully the “Hermanator” will share a few pics of these.

A very lekker way to kick off the trip!
    Bryan Williams

My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!

Check out my albums

Some pics of day 1
    Bryan Williams

My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!

Check out my albums

Default Friday

Up early for breakfast which consisted of a full English (or perhaps you could call it a full Afrikaans with the boerie) breakfast. Loaded up and made our way to the first night’s camp site just upstream of Havenga Bridge. As mentioned there were a few hiccups with a little puncture but that was sorted out in no time. Klaas’ bakkie was obviously seriously keen to get to the water as it was chomping those dirt roads at 140 km/h with no problems.

When we arrived at Havenga Bridge we were greeted with some of the nicest looking largie water you will ever see. I believe Herman’s pics were taken then; the first was the upstream shot and the second, downstream. To echo what Barend was saying you have to watch that river like you watch the sea.

Unbelievably all of the rocks visible in the foreground and background of Hermans 1st pic were completely underwater and the second pic consisted of mainly islands just a few short hours later. If you do not know the river you could quite easily find yourself stranded on one of those islands and I wouldn’t fancy making your way back across the channel in flows exceeding 300 cumecs.

By the time we were ready to hit the water the river was rising at a steady pace and this made the fishing very challenging. The late seasons rain had also played it’s part with the visibility. You could also feel the nip in the air from the oncoming cold front. There....now that I have laid out all my excuses we can move on.

The first morning session we fished from the banks but we didn’t really get to fish the rocks visible in Herman’s pics much due to the high flows. Also the fish apparently move around a lot more and do not sit in their usual lies. Nevertheless it was fun fishing with a fair bit of bundu bashing, leopard crawling, duckwalking, following sheep trails, etc. Lekker stuff!

The plan for the afternoon was to gear up the boats and then do the drift downstream back towards Havenga Bridge from Vanderkloof dam wall after the turbines and sluices closed at their usual time of around 2pm. For some reason Eskom never got the memo and these remained open the entire day meaning we had to fish in heavy flows the rest of the day. Barend and Gawie, due to their association with Eskom, paid for this in our strafdop session that night.

Getting the boats down to the river was quite a schlep, especially for those of us with the batteries and trolling motors but this was all negated by the lack of rowing required on our part. The wind wasn’t really playing ball here either as it was blowing directly upstream which made the going tough. Herman did a heroic solo row of a good few kms in wind where, if you stopped rowing you would move upstream despite the high flows. This is where us non-rowers were taken to task via a couple of strafdops that night by judge Spyker.

Good spots along the way but alas no fish. The only eventful happening of the drift was Hugo tearing his pants leading to a charge of indecent exposure that night.

When we got to the camp everything had been laid out by Spyker and Anna; tents erected, chairs and tables set out, fire going, etc. All we had to do was pop off the waders and we could settle down next to the fire to nurse a cold beer. We had a wonderful dinner of oxtail and garlic bread followed by karoo pudding for dessert.

This was followed by a sitting of the court where judge Spyker presided over proceedings and dished out what he felt was the appropriate punishment for whatever charge you were found guilty of. Let me just say that he has a heavy hand.
    Bryan Williams

Check out my albums

Some more pics
    Bryan Williams

Check out my albums

Nice report back Bryan, thanks for sharing the experience. Enjoying it!

Mike

Default Saturday

We awoke to the wonderful sight of a river that had dropped around 2m vertically overnight and were faced with the prospect of a good mornings fishing.

Half of the guys spent the morning fishing the near shore and Klaas rowed the others across to the far shore. This turned out to be an eventful albeit unsuccessful morning. As we were making our way along there were little stranded baitfish everywhere. Some dead, some half alive and some caught in little pools. Obviously with the very high flows dropping suddenly they get confused and disorientated. It was very interesting to see this.

The structure in this area in low flows is insane. There are thousands upon thousands of potential LM lies everywhere. Big rocks, fallen trees, rocky bays, etc. Dion, Barend and myself were fishing the near side of the river along with Chris who was spending some time with each of us in turn showing us the spots, retrieves, etc. that work.

I spotted a few baitfish fleeing something which got the blood going and Dion had a hit that morning. Unfortunately he missed it as that would have been his first largie. Although we blanked it was a good mornings fishing and one of those mornings where the blank didn’t hurt as much.

We headed back to camp and once again had a lovely fry up breakfast with some lekker coffee. The guys on the far side weren’t back yet so we suspected that they might be having some luck. After a good while we had already broken camp and were ready to move onto the next spot but the guys were still not back.

Eventually we saw them ambling back over the bridge. Etienne, Herman and Craig had spent the morning fishing with Klaas and they had had a fair bit of action. Etienne missed one and Klaas missed three takes (punishable with a very hefty strafdop). They also saw lots of surface action and their spirits were renewed.

The rest of us upon that news were rejuvenated and ready to hit the water so we headed off by car to the next campsite with a stop of at Bobbejaanskloof. This was again a great looking piece of water with lots of potential but no luck.

So we headed off to Saaidam via Oranje and Klaas stopped in the area so we could tune in to the local radio station where we were priviledged enough to hear a lovely rendition of that old classic, “Ek is vrek, vreeslik, verskriklik lief vir jou!”

At Saaidam we did another drift fishing all the likely looking spots along the way. Again, the largies evaded us.

Again we arrived to completely set up camp with coffee brewing and a lekker fire going. We has a lovely roast chicken cooked in a veld oven along with a freshly baked bread with veggies.

Spyker was busy that evening so judge Klaas stood in for him and this resulted in an extremely litigious evening with poor old Hugo getting a strafdop every time the word "Bass" was mentioned. We went through a good few bottles of OBS, ponchos and a bottle of Sailor Jerry's. Eish it was rough...

This turned out to be a very cool evening and the best of the trip. Before we knew it it was 2 am and I stumbled off to bed.
    Bryan Williams

Check out my albums

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast