Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Trophy fish fly?

Default New Trophy fish fly?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KzSWMNigVo&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I would love to see a close up of the actual fly. Looks like it was segmented. Must be a nightmare to cast that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by beefybovril View Post
    I would love to see a close up of the actual fly. Looks like it was segmented. Must be a nightmare to cast that's for sure
    Down-and-across for BIG browns
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

You must see how bass love snakes, when I still fished for them with conventional bass tackle, I superglued 2 x 7' plastic worms head-tail and connected 2 hooks with piece of nylon, specifically for a dam in Nelspruit as it was overpoppulated and smallish fish would not leave any lures alone! I thought a 14' "snake" would intimidate a 500g bass?

Quote Originally Posted by OllieOwen View Post
    You must see how bass love snakes, when I still fished for them with conventional bass tackle, I superglued 2 x 7' plastic worms head-tail and connected 2 hooks with piece of nylon, specifically for a dam in Nelspruit as it was overpoppulated and smallish fish would not leave any lures alone! I thought a 14' "snake" would intimidate a 500g bass?
    IIRC doug hannon made a "snakebait" - big ripple tail worm with a floating foam head and oversized hook. Deadly!
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Doug Hannon
    This guy has some mean theories about moon phases and how they effect the bite.

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    IIRC doug hannon made a "snakebait" - big ripple tail worm with a floating foam head and oversized hook. Deadly!
    Just had a look, but on one US bass forum and the guys weren't to happy with it...I've been busy tying some bass flies the past week after catching a couple of bass 2 weeks ago I'm really in the mood to get some decent bass action the next couple of months, so now I'll have to tie a small snake as well

anyone with some ideas, the one in the vid doesn't look great at all!? I'm sure Gerrit's articulated method will be a must for optimum movement, but I believe a lip will also be a necessity and maybe 3-4 hooks ? G are you gonna create one that we can copy?

i've been thinking of using that floating putty you can buy for your kids...

you can mould it the the shape that you want, make it articulated...

paint it whatever colour you like, and bob's you uncle you have a floating snake pattern. you could make the final segment (tail) with marabou or feathers for the movement as well i guess.

maybe a spun deer hair head to push the water?

who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by OllieOwen View Post
    Just had a look, but on one US bass forum and the guys weren't to happy with it...I've been busy tying some bass flies the past week after catching a couple of bass 2 weeks ago I'm really in the mood to get some decent bass action the next couple of months, so now I'll have to tie a small snake as well

anyone with some ideas, the one in the vid doesn't look great at all!? I'm sure Gerrit's articulated method will be a must for optimum movement, but I believe a lip will also be a necessity and maybe 3-4 hooks ? G are you gonna create one that we can copy?
    Ja I like the multiple hook idea Ollie, will put my thinking cap on..

I'm also thinking maybe simply a properly shaped balsa head of about4-5cm with swimming lip and attach a single #2 bass bug hook...with a 10-15cm zonker tail that should also provide adequate movement? and the balsa should pop up nicely after a dive, Sh@t now I wish I had a piece of balsa tonight

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast