Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elrgo River Lodge

Default Elrgo River Lodge

Fished Elgro River Lodge Saturday. Water still cold. Blanked Plenty barbel activity especially in the evening.Viz about 15 cm. Rock snot unusually sparse for this time of year.

In four visits to Elgro over two years I have blanked everytime... Just does not seem to be as many fish around as there used to be.

Does the Bells Windknot festival still take place at Elgro?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyr View Post
    Fished Elgro River Lodge Saturday. Water still cold. Blanked Plenty barbel activity especially in the evening.Viz about 15 cm. Rock snot unusually sparse for this time of year.

In four visits to Elgro over two years I have blanked everytime... Just does not seem to be as many fish around as there used to be.

Do you drift or wade from shore near lodge?

Sorry to hear about the blank. Only been there once but was way back when.

Did you by any chance take the water temp?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyr View Post

Hi Jeremy, yes Elgro is a challenging piece of water, the fish (smallies) are still there you just need to know where to find them, like troutmaster asked did you do the drift or did you fish in front of the lodge. There are certain sections where the fish seem to congrigate, if you are at the right spots at the right times there is good fishing to be had. Largies on the other hand have been very tough in these conditions ( last 2 - 3 years)

If it is smallies you are targeting go back in a month’s time once they have moved back into the rapids and you will get plenty.
    Yes the festivals are still being held there, i think the small mouth festival is now in October, but i have heard that Bells are pulling out of all fly fishing related events, not sure how true this is and not sure how it will effect these festivals here, but i am sure Kobus will make a plan of some sort. As all their festivals have been great fun and very succesful.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Sorry to hear about the blank. Only been there once but was way back when.

Did you by any chance take the water temp?
    Hi Grant a week ago it was hovering between about 11 and 13 deg, but rather certain it will be rising fast.

I did the drift on sat, hunting largies ... as has become customary i blanked badly

Measured temp was hovering between 14 / 15 degrees ...
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Question

Anyone fished Elgro recently, my weekend is finally here, leaving Friday afternoon at around 14h00 super exited . Weather for the weekend doesnt look to good but hey we need rain more than good fishing!

Any tips on where to fish the area? Flies to use?

It will be my first trip to Elgro.

Thanks gents

Frank
    “What a tourist terms a plague of insects, the fly fisher calls a great hatch.” ~ Patrick F.

About all the information you need here.

Like I said before - Elgro is definitely my favourite venue - there are fish everywhere. Keep it simple. Fish the top and bottom of the rapids. The fish at Elgro loves hotspots and green brassies regardless of what is under the rocks - it is just like that. Don't ask me why.

Thanks a million that info is really helpfull.

I will let you know how it went.

Thanks again!
    “What a tourist terms a plague of insects, the fly fisher calls a great hatch.” ~ Patrick F.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Thanks a million that info is really helpfull.

I will let you know how it went.

Thanks again!
    Only a pleasure - let us know how it went.

Hi Frank

Was there the weekend before last for the afternoon, got 11 good smallies at the bottom beat (always good in low flow).

Fished the bells there at the end of October, fishing was off the hook, and again the bottom beat was firing.

Enjoy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast