Thread: fly gear info

Default fly gear info

Hi guys,

I'm new to fly fishing and still need to buy my first ever rod, reel, tackle and accesories. I'm a avid bass fishermann and believe (almost exclusively) in catch and release.

I stay in the NW and will mainly and mostly be targeting the ?aal yellowfish.

My budget for rod and reel is R1200-oo. With the limited choice availible in town, I'm considering 5/6 wt 4 pc 9ft rod in grpahite. Two options junp a front:

Sensation symphony Combo incl backing and line
    Xplorer classis 2 rod and xplorer titan reel excl line

Please be down right honest and help me choose. The sensation is pretty and seems good value for money whilst xplorer apparently has the reputation of quality. Cost difference wll be about R500 more for the xplorer rigg incl line and backing.

mark Banned User

If it were me I would go for Explorer

In that price range the Xplorer is probably a better option and has a lifetime guarantee.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

thanks guys.

Bryan,

Is there anything else to consider under this price tag. Stretching the budget to R2000?

I would rather like to have a few more options.

I would say ask the forum guy's to go have a look see in thair local tackle shops and come back with budget options, the better kit will be worth the extra courier cost.

This will take a week or two longer but I would make that sacrifice

My 2c.

I'll start buddy of mine is also starting out and looking at either the Explorer Xp reel for R 260 or the Stealth casset also at R 260. You could pick up Elbe Rods at R 200 to R 300. Nothing fancy but gets the job done and will leave some bucks in the bank for good line and some flies or even wading boots.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Quote Originally Posted by bufdvz View Post
    thanks guys.

Bryan,

Is there anything else to consider under this price tag. Stretching the budget to R2000?

I would rather like to have a few more options.
    ok, I do not have any tackle that I need to get rid off, but I do have book that is an introduction to trout fishing. A lot of the principles that they talk about also applies to fishing in general. I am willing to part ways with if at NO CHARGE. send me a pm if you keen.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Booger Rose Banned User

I fish the Classic 2 as one of my set-ups and have never had a problem with it. The Life-Time guarantee is great and it works - tried it with my Guide and there were no problems.

Problem with the kit set-up is normally a crappy line. I would buy the best line I can afford, it will spare a lot of heart ache in the learn to cast catagory. A good line makes a hell of a difference.

My personal oppinion is that the reel just holds the line most of the time. Exlporer reel is great for the job, I would not break my budget to buy the best reel out there.

If you have any friends with fly tackle, it might be a good idea to testrun an outfit or two before you buy. Get the feel for the rod, load the line etc. It might make the differnce in the end of the day to buy a better rod because you know what you want when you walk into the shop. If the shop is good they would even give you a rod for a test-run before you buy. ask the guys, you might be surprised.

Have a loo at Gani's. They have good specials and youd get something good enough for your budget. you can always move up later if you decide to stay with fly fishing. I started with a stealth start combo from them and still have it. I have caught a lot of fish with it over the years and without any complaints. Look in the complete fly fisherman mag, they advertise in there.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"