Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Great Kei river yellows

11 years ago...it was an issue of the Complete Flyfisherman, in the year 2000. Article on Kei river yellows, by Karl Krull.

There is also an article on the yellows in the fish/kei river system in of of the older Nedbank guides if i recall correclty, probaly around 2004?
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    There is also an article on the yellows in the fish/kei river system in of of the older Nedbank guides if i recall correclty, probaly around 2004?
    You're right. I have it at home too.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

So this year we have started to fish a good stretch of water along the Kei. This past weekend we got 14 smallmouth Yellows ranging from 10cm to 65cm. The tactics used in the kei are a lot different to the tactics more conventionally used for yellowfish. The Kei is running clear and the water is at a good temp and if the rains do not come we will have excellent fishing in the warmwer months.

cool, why not share your tactics? Maybe do a writeup on a trip or two ... and remember we love pics of new waters and fish ... so maybe take a couple of pics and post along with the writeup?

Quote Originally Posted by shaunw View Post
    The tactics used in the kei are a lot different to the tactics more conventionally used for yellowfish.

Please share more

well the main thing is that we are not drifting flies for these fish. we have tried this method and it just does not work in the kei. we are fishing fast moving water with sinking lines and we are constantly casting and retrieving our flies. This stretch is on a privately owned farm and is up from the N2 bridge. I do have some pictures but not on this pc. i will try get some on later today. A plan is in the pipeline for others to fish this water

interesting, it would be fantastic if someone proficient in upstream nymphing on vaal where to fish the kei, and see what kind of results they got.

I will be in area in December ... hopefully its fishable!

I fished it about 18 months ago , around Christmas time. Got access through a private farm near Cathcart. We fished it exactly like the Vaal and Orange, short and long line nympphing, swinging and drifting flies.... we got lots of fish. Also a few tributaries up there that also have fish.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thats cool. So what flies were you using and on what rig? I am going tomorrow again and will give your way a bash again while my mate will fish the Kei way and see who comes out tops

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast