Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: yellows???

Question yellows???

hi im new to this and if you can help me with info on gourits river it would be
    apreciated. my familly have a farm next to the river and i would like try my luck.flies? aproach? any info please, thanks.

Howzit, Pottie!
    Welcome to Fly Talk!
    Go to the home page, Click on Fly Tying, and under Freshwater Flies, search for Henkie Altena's Gamka Nymph. That fly catches everything that swims in the Gouritz, and is the mainstay for the yellows.
    I must say, reading the words "my family has a farm next to the river" makes my skin crawl with jealousy, man! Do you actually live in the area?

Cheers,
    LeRoy

Smile

hi leroy
    no i live in durbanville, but take every opp to go visit, the yellows that is.
    thanks for the help.

Cool

The great Gold (Yellow) rush started when Keith and Garth wrote their article in TCFF highlighting that yellows eat immitative patterns like MF nymphs and caddisses and not just TVN's & killer patterns MRs Simpson etc.

So have a look at the aquatic invertebrate in the river and try to immitate them.

You can even KILL a yellowfish and examine the stomach contents. They are actually an invasive specie. Smallmouth Yellowfish do not occur naturally in that watershed. Fortunately they're not as destructive as other species e.g. catfish in Theewaterskloof.

If you need more help I will be in Sedgefiled during November and early December 2007. We can try crack the code together

Carl
    http://yellowsonfly.blogspot.com/

Smile

hi carl
    my cell no 0783117560, contact me when you are in sedge maybe we can
    get together.

Are you talking about yellowfish in the Gourits near Mosselbay? If so, tell me more

Hi guys.
    This was a secret until very recently. This place deserves respect, and before I do this, I must say that it is difficult. I fished it for the first time in January. There are smallmouth yellowfish, carp, redbreast and blue kurper (not sure about the blues, but that's what I was told..), freshwater mullet, smallmouth and largemouth bass, and bluegills, all swimming in the Upper reaches. I have caught only the two smallmouth fishes there, and only small yellows at that. That is because I get preoccupied with smallmouth bass when I go there. I have seen yellowfish up to about four kilo's, at close range. I kicked my own butt several times for not being prepared for them.
    John vd Berg has a catch report with a pic of a good yellow caught there. Here's some examples of what I've found there. Please keep in mind that shirtless bad hair days often turn into good fish days for me. My avatar fish also came from the Gouritz.
    Respect..

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Hi guys.
    This was a secret until very recently. This place deserves respect, and before I do this, I must say that it is difficult. I fished it for the first time in January. There are smallmouth yellowfish, carp, redbreast and blue kurper (not sure about the blues, but that's what I was told..), freshwater mullet, smallmouth and largemouth bass, and bluegills, all swimming in the Upper reaches. I have caught only the two smallmouth fishes there, and only small yellows at that. That is because I get preoccupied with smallmouth bass when I go there. I have seen yellowfish up to about four kilo's, at close range. I kicked my own butt several times for not being prepared for them.
    John vd Berg has a catch report with a pic of a good yellow caught there. Here's some examples of what I've found there. Please keep in mind that shirtless bad hair days often turn into good fish days for me. My avatar fish also came from the Gouritz.
    Respect..
    By "Upper Reaches" .. do you mean up near Calitzdorp?
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Just look at that viz *swoooooooooooooooooooon*

Pretty decent looking bass that, sightfishing must be a treat.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Hi Jasper!
    Calitzdorp as well, yes. The spot I fish, without trying to be funny, is close to nothing, as far as I can tell. Closest "town" probably Herbertsdale. But it's not that close! Middle of frickin' nowhere. Perfect!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast