Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: G's TVN

Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    Gerrit , your fly is very close to the original , i had the pleasure to fish with Oom Theo toe hy nog daar was.

We used to use embroidery thread one would dip into melted candle wax , as you pull the thread out of the wax you would " Flatten " it between your fingers ( brand die dinges uit jou uit). Oom Theo also used the GOLD tinsel of a Richelieu Brandy bottle for his ribbing , the Gold & Silver flash from a Chrunchie wrapper as a tail and PTFE tape or Waterbuck hair as the head.

We caught a bunch of yellows and muddies at the old Elrina spa , just below the barage. Like they say - ' In die goeie ou dae"
    Damn Ricko, hoe oud IS jy????
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    i have seen them yup...its a small pinky orange-ish coloured flesh that sticks out a bit...

just a hint of colour.
    Okay, so then what is the black, ribbed part of the fly supposed to be?

Quote Originally Posted by saml View Post
    that's the shell...the shell is black, and on many of them, they have a goldish coloured tinge to them as well as ridges across the shell...

depending on whether or not they have bumped on rocks, they can have a more visible patch wcich the gold ribbing may represent.

have a look on tom sutcliffs site, he has a picture of the mussels on there

Quote Originally Posted by saml View Post
    It's to imitate growth lines.

Oh i see, I thought the deer hair was the entirety of the shell, because of the shape of the deer hair, but now that you mention that the mussel is black as opposed to white this obviously wouldn't make sense. And i see on the pics on toms site that the point(if you could call it that) of the shell is usually white.
    It all makes sense now

Don't ask me how but it would be good if you could get the black section of the fly to fan out somehow, maybe similar to a crab pattern. hmmm.

that's what i've been thinking about...gona give it a try tonight.

i like the way it would roll down the rapids, i feel similar to the real deal...the way it sinks side to side would also be good...

will hopefully post pics tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    that's what i've been thinking about...gona give it a try tonight.

i like the way it would roll down the rapids, i feel similar to the real deal...the way it sinks side to side would also be good...

will hopefully post pics tomorrow...
    i look forward to seeing them, i will also put my mind to it and give something a bash, minus the deer hair as i don't have any and I haven't a clue how to use it.

The way a Smallie would delf for these things I reckon the white on the shell (Deer hair) is all that is needed (trigger) to get a "on snout".. Too much fiddling for a better body / shell shape is overkill. I whipped these out in maybe 2 min.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 01-11-11 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    The way a Smallie would delf for these things I reckon the white on the shell (Deer hair) is all that is needed (trigger) to get a "on snout".. Too much fiddling for a better body / shell shape is overkill. I whipped these out in maybe 2 min.
    true, but its worth trying out some ideas. Also because, as i'm sure you know, confidence in your fly as almost as important as the fly itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Hi Ricko,

Dis goeie nuus!!!

Ek blaai netnou so deur Bill Steel se freshwater flies boekie en kom toe af op 'n Adolf. As jy vir daai vlieg 'n wit bead opsit en net groter bind dan sĂȘ ek jou jy is in groot besigheid.
    Gerrit, the Adolf is a potent fly as well for trout(unweighted) during spawning time on still waters when the fish are carrying eggs.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast