Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: G's TVN

Brings me back to the colour orange. I am still not sure that whether it is the shape of the fly, resemblance to the natural, or in fact the "trigger" colour - orange- that interests the fish.

Maybe with the TVN and Orange hotspot the fish ignores the fly completely and goes for the orange yummy bits.

Just a theory.

The natural.
    Do you see the resemblance?
    Nicely tied 10c though.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Brings me back to the colour orange. I am still not sure that whether it is the shape of the fly, resemblance to the natural, or in fact the "trigger" colour - orange- that interests the fish.

Maybe with the TVN and Orange hotspot the fish ignores the fly completely and goes for the orange yummy bits.

Just a theory.

The natural.

Cheapest fly you'll ever tie
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Ja but what if your mate hands you two tenors..?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Ja but what if your mate hands your a tenor..?
    Cash it in and make 100 mussel flies
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Just a theory.

The natural.
    Nicely tied 10c though.

I'm probably going to get shot down for this - but, I'm with Humpy here. IMHO, i dont think a yellow takes the fly because he thinks its a mussel. Maybe they take it because they think it something else. Size and shape plays huge rolles as triggers. In what way does the TVN resemble a mussel? It might have been tied with that in mind, but maybe the fish sees it different??? To me it looks more like a small fry or even a caddis pupa...maybe a cased caddis.........but a mussel, whow I dont get that worm fuzzy feeling.

OK start shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    but a mussel, whow I dont get that worm fuzzy feeling.
    OK start shooting!
    Worm fuzzy feeling?
    Shooting?

Fyn draai?

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    I'm probably going to get shot down for this - but, I'm with Humpy here. IMHO, i dont think a yellow takes the fly because he thinks its a mussel. Maybe they take it because they think it something else. Size and shape plays huge rolles as triggers. In what way does the TVN resemble a mussel? It might have been tied with that in mind, but maybe the fish sees it different??? To me it looks more like a small fry or even a caddis pupa...maybe a cased caddis.........but a mussel, whow I dont get that worm fuzzy feeling.

OK start shooting!
    I have to agree CJ, I see a SLIGHT resemblance but I don't think enough for the fish to think 'oh look a mussel, gulp' (yes yellows do think in english) . I def think the orange is a trigger. There might be more things with a hint of orange that the yellows eat but 2 i can think of is the caddis larvae with the orange thorax and then the mussel that sticks out an orange 'thingy'.

Worm fuzzy feeling?
    Shooting?

Fyn draai?
    draatie.......is ek trug in skool?
    Last edited by C J; 02-11-11 at 12:02 PM.

Is there still a healthy population of mussels in the Vaal?

in certain places i have seen hundreds of them (recently)...

so i think so

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast