Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Calitzdorp

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Chris, get a couple of those Loch Ness Monster hunter-photographers to assist you
    hehe..good idea!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

OK guys- here is the deal

We are looking at going the around the end of Sept/ beginning of Oct. Fishing the dam for a day (possibly 2 if it fishes well) and then we will fish a river in the area for SM Yellows as well. Accommodation is at a guest house in the middle of the mountains where bushbuck come spy you out while you are braaing! And it's very reasonable- about R100 or R125 pp/pn. I have made tentative plans with Andrew and Kevin, so be prepared for a weekend of awesome fishing and massive amounts of kuiering!

I simply cannot wait for this one- it will be awesome....
    Last edited by KevinC; 03-07-07 at 09:18 PM.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

That sounds great Kevin..thanks!

Just remember to keep the weekend of the 21st of Sept (the long weekend) open for our Groot exploratory trip.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

hehehehe- there is no chance I would double book myself over that one Chris!
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

HI KEVIN, WHERE IS THE GUEST HOUSE? THEY HAVE 2 CARAVANS AT THE DAM FOR R180 A NIGHT, SLEEPS 2 ( 4 IF SWAMBO AND KIDS GO WITH, 2 x D/B) NICE BRAAI LAPA IN THE CENTRE OF CAMP, IF YOU WANT YOU COULD PITCH A TENT, IM SURE THEY WON'T MIND. NO ELEC. CONTACT " SKILLY" AT 082 956 7777, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDE, MYSELF AND A FRIEND ALSO PLAN A TRIP IN SEPT, MAYBE WE CAN JOIN YOU GUYS.

Quote Originally Posted by pottie View Post
    HI KEVIN, WHERE IS THE GUEST HOUSE? THEY HAVE 2 CARAVANS AT THE DAM FOR R180 A NIGHT, SLEEPS 2 ( 4 IF SWAMBO AND KIDS GO WITH, 2 x D/B) NICE BRAAI LAPA IN THE CENTRE OF CAMP, IF YOU WANT YOU COULD PITCH A TENT, IM SURE THEY WON'T MIND. NO ELEC. CONTACT " SKILLY" AT 082 956 7777, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDE, MYSELF AND A FRIEND ALSO PLAN A TRIP IN SEPT, MAYBE WE CAN JOIN YOU GUYS.
    Hi Pottie-

Yeah I have camped there before- it used to be owned by Essie Esterhuyse and was known as Visarend Oord/ Fish Eagle Lodge.

The guesthouse is quite far from the dam more towards Mossel Bay. If one only wants to fish the dam then camping is definitely the best option! It's also closest to the inlet.

So I gather you were fishing from the side?

Tell me- was the inlet to the Nels River full? i.e. the shoot to the right from the campsite (if looking at the water). The first time I fished there we nailed the fish around that area and then on return there were cows grazing there on a massive grass filled field!

HI KEVIN, SORRY FOR THE LATE REPLY, BEEN OUT OF TOWN.
    WE FISHED FROM THE BANK, NEED TO BUY FLOAT TUBE ASAP!!! LOTS MORE ACTION DEEPER IN. THE INLET WAS ABOUT HALF FULL, AND AS CLEAR AS TAP WATER.( WITCH IS'NT SO CLEAR IN SOME PARTS) WE COULD NOT SEE ANY MOVEMENT AT ALL. NEXT TRIP I'LL HAVE MY TUBE. SWAMBO HATES IT WHEN I SPEND MONEY ON FISHING GEAR, I'LL HAVE TO GET HER SOMETHING THAT INFLATE ASWELL CHEERS

Hi guys

Im on my way to Calitzdorp tommorrow...

Are there anyone that fished the Calitzdorp dam recently? Can you please let me know of the state of the dam and the fishing. As mentioned previously in the thread it seems as if you need a float tube, but I think the water level should be low because of the drought or am I wrong?

Please let me know of recent visits and any info on the current state of the fishing there.

Thanks
    Troep

2 weekends ago, I was more upstream. The river was very dirty. Viz about 5cm. Fished a short while, had 2 knocks, but decided to give it up after about 1 hour. Should have cleared up by know. Unless they opened the Gamkaskloof dam, water could be murky again.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Calitzdorp dam is 68% full.
    Gamkapoort dam is 11% full. That is probaly why the water is so murky that is coming out of the dam.
    The Gamka river is flowing, it might be worth while to see what is happening in some of the upstream areas. But as mentioned water is dirty.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast