Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Which Reel 1-2wt or 2-3wt

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Check Stream X - they might just give you a complimentary bottle of Bells with your reel.
    StreamX is a Bells free zone
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Hi guys, i have a similar dilemma, i'm trying to find a reel for a Reddington CT 2wt 7.6 rod. I use an explorer guide series reel on my 4wt quite successfully and have tamed some rather big yellows on it when fishing dries. This led me to believe that the explorer eclipse 000 click would be the answer when taking into account arbour, mass and my budget. I normally fish for trout in mid winter hence the large arbour will help presentation. Exactly what goes wrong with the eclipse spool mechanism, can a mod fix it? Is anyone looking to get rid of theirs?
    Buy a Redington reel, they are quite nice with drag mechanisms too and comes in various colours too. Why do you want to use the 000 Eclipse on a 2wt? The reel will be too light and wont balance the outfit correctly.

The Eclipse reels essentially have no drag. The 'drag' is dictated by the O-ring and a screw that fixes the reel to the spool, so tightening the screw effectively increases the drag. However, the screw used to set the drag unscrews as the spool turns which leads to the spool falling off a few times during a days fishing. This is obviously a huge problem. The only way to deal with this is to set the drag the way you like it and fix the screw in place permanently with loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Buy a Redington reel, they are quite nice with drag mechanisms too and comes in various colours too. Why do you want to use the 000 Eclipse on a 2wt? The reel will be too light and wont balance the outfit correctly.

The Eclipse reels essentially have no drag. The 'drag' is dictated by the O-ring and a screw that fixes the reel to the spool, so tightening the screw effectively increases the drag. However, the screw used to set the drag unscrews as the spool turns which leads to the spool falling off a few times during a days fishing. This is obviously a huge problem. The only way to deal with this is to set the drag the way you like it and fix the screw in place permanently with loctite.
    Thanks for the advice Shector. I managed to get my hands on a Vision GT24 which seems to tick all the right boxes and balances my rod beautifully at the end of the grip.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5