Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Xplorer Guide 111 fly reel

Quote Originally Posted by karoo View Post
    Ja jis those 3tands are nice for the price. They are slightly more expensive than the guide, but I think if you have the cash available its a good buy

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    For around the R2k mark you can bring in a Taylor. Much nicer product IMO.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Dont know that reel will google!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Which Taylor do you own or tested?

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Hi GrahamS.

Taylor's are nice, but who is servicing them in South Africa? Or will you have to spend $50-100 (R700-1300) just on postage to get reel to the States and back again?
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

The Taylor Type one costs $144 (1800) in 5/6wt and weights 4.7oz! It's a full 1.0 oz heavier than the 3-tand's 5/6wt that weights 3.8oz. The Taylor Array 5/6 costs $189(R2400) and weights a whopping 5.55oz!

The import duties are anything between 14-23% added to that amount, I got the prices from the Taylor Reels website and also the weights, which is heavier than the comparing 3-Tand reels. Also what about the Taylor backup service? 3-Tand is backed by David Levene (previous Stealth/ Featherlite rods and reels).
    If the Taylors are serviced locally they might be a option, not gonna spend R700-1200 on postage to the States to get it fixed/ serviced, IMHO.
    Last edited by Barbus13; 15-07-14 at 09:30 AM.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

How would you test a reel in this class, and what would you be looking for in a reel test?
    Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Which Taylor do you own or tested?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I would look at the price and what you get for it. Die-casf vs CNC machined aluminium. Type of drag and the start-up inertia. Backing capacity and the weight of the reel. Also the durability. Back up service a plus. Word of mouth reviews from other anglers because these days an honest review is hard to find. And then take reel on a 6 months test yourself.....that should give you a reasonable idee what are the pro and cons. No reel is perfect, question is can you enjoy your fishing with those specific cons?
    Dirk Human

Afaik 3-Tand has a Van Staal connection ... so I would DEF choose a 3-Tand above an Xplorer.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Ok, sounds good. What type of drag would you want, and how would startup inertia be a factor? Is there a way of measuring startup inertia to get a reel with an ideal in this area? Would you be able to elaborate for me please? I have never really "tested a reel before, so i'm interested to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbus13 View Post
    I would look at the price and what you get for it. Die-casf vs CNC machined aluminium. Type of drag and the start-up inertia. Backing capacity and the weight of the reel. Also the durability. Back up service a plus. Word of mouth reviews from other anglers because these days an honest review is hard to find. And then take reel on a 6 months test yourself.....that should give you a reasonable idee what are the pro and cons. No reel is perfect, question is can you enjoy your fishing with those specific cons?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ok, sounds good. What type of drag would you want, and how would startup inertia be a factor? Is there a way of measuring startup inertia to get a reel with an ideal in this area? Would you be able to elaborate for me please? I have never really "tested a reel before, so i'm interested to know.
    I think these guys are doing it the best. 2014 Reel Shootout - Yellowstone Angler - http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...ge-lamsonreels
    Dirk Human

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast