Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing Management at Zandvlei...

ah ok...sorry, for a second, when you mentioned CNC supplying bags, I thought they had plans to mass exterminate
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I don't think they have the manpower or budget to mass exterminate. Netting is not an option either as the catfish hide in the margins or reeds. Just opening the mouth at Spring tide cost R22000 a shot. I think they want to autopsy catfish to see what they have been eating hence the black bags.
    Interestingly enough, Carp keep the chironomid larvae in check preventing midge plagues. However, the Carp population is too high at present causing water turbidity problems.

PLEASE NOTE.

If anyone has problems or concerns regarding the killing of these fish please let me know as CNC would also like feedback on these sensitive issues. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and has a right to be heard.

"We must not lose sight of the fact that alien fish are problematic and that it is the primary responsibility of the conservation authorities to safeguard our indigenous fishes. As fly fishers we must ensure that we adhere to ecological principles and not allow our own personal preferences to cloud sound environmental management." -- Nedbank Guide to Flyfishing in Southern Africa.
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 06-08-07 at 07:40 PM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Default Catch Returns

Catch return template now available at :
    http://myweb.absamail.co.za/princeg/ZANDVLEI/

I am waiting on feedback from CNC on catfish drop off points.

Hi Buzz,

Thanks for your work, I will send you am pm with my catch returns

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    Hi Buzz,

Thanks for your work, I will send you am pm with my catch returns
    Muchos Gracias!! And then there were five.
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 10-08-07 at 12:07 AM.

Default Minutes of ZIMP Meeting now available

http://myweb.absamail.co.za/princeg/ZANDVLEI/

Water quality reports to follow.

just a report made by myself while in the area yesterday.....

The back canal where the guys normally get carp has now got 3 nets in place and not just 1.looks like they havnt been empied in weeks....no sign of any carp(good thing?)

the amount of rain we have had has had a huge effect on this system the water is fresh very close to the mouth.the water is pushing out at such a pace that its not giving the sea time to push fresh sea water back into the system........
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    just a report made by myself while in the area yesterday.....

The back canal where the guys normally get carp has now got 3 nets in place and not just 1.looks like they havnt been empied in weeks....no sign of any carp(good thing?)

the amount of rain we have had has had a huge effect on this system the water is fresh very close to the mouth.the water is pushing out at such a pace that its not giving the sea time to push fresh sea water back into the system........
    Good thing though! It should empty out some of the pollutants and as the water rushes out the mouth it will open by moving some of that sand away. The sea water will feed back in when it subsides. No so??
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

the mouth was open yesterday..... i agree re the pollutants but think the freshwater is going to damage the salt water fishing.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    the mouth was open yesterday..... i agree re the pollutants but think the freshwater is going to damage the salt water fishing.
    Maybe, but I think those fish are so tolerant of fresh water and salinity changes by now, I rate they'll hang in there! Lets hope.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast