Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WADERS for the Vaal river

Have a general question on the breathable – how long should they last, and what do you do if you get a puncture in them????? also in the market for one – but with normal Vaal/bundu bashing I am in two minds of getting one and then 3 trips later maybe have a puncture or tear in them that misses the point of “keeping the water off”. The old school rubber one didn’t last long – AT ALL.....
    No one does it smaller then me!

Good point. I will be quite disappointed if they do not last a few years. I usually get my butt kicked by the Vaal. I am a light weight so usually slip and fall often (need some decent boots as well). I know the Farmer browns are HOT (like boiling your privates), but they might be up for more abuse then breathable???

if you fish extremely actively they should last at least two seasons, but ofcourse you will have to be watchful of not wading through thorn bushes and the like. Aside from normal scuffing, don't think the rocks in the water or a usual bundu through grass will damage the breathables much. It's when you're climbing over fences and through forests that you're going to run risk of nicks and tears.

I won't be stepping into waders on the Vaal until the water is shown to be below acceptable quality for recreational purposes, I havn't been sick due to the water quality of the Vaal in ~4yrs of fishing it.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlie" - Ago 2014.

IMHO, colour is important. I mean, I have been buying gear and tackle and clothing just from a cost effectiveness point of view, and when I step into the water I look like a gift shop! Blind man.........

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Is it coz I am white ?

The best thing about being in the plastics industry is you will never short of materials for your scores of adoring fans to put over your head and strangle you with.

I wasn't referring to suitability of purpose, merely referring to the quality of the waders, besides the rest of the Vaalies seem to use it on the Vaal to no ill effect ... must be a Capetonian thing.
    I hate those white waders, I am sure they make the fishes' eyes hurt, they sure do mine
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by thrisss View Post
    Have a general question on the breathable – how long should they last, and what do you do if you get a puncture in them????? also in the market for one – but with normal Vaal/bundu bashing I am in two minds of getting one and then 3 trips later maybe have a puncture or tear in them that misses the point of “keeping the water off”. The old school rubber one didn’t last long – AT ALL.....
    I had a el cheapo set of Hodgman's single layer breathables, which lasted me 3 years until last year when they started leaking through one of the booties. The actual breathable material seems to be quite durable, and even escaped a few unplanned bundu bashes through brambles unscathed, although I did proceed with care !

Bought a pair of Simms Rivertek's last year and comparing the quality to that of the Hodgman's, I'm convinced they'll outlast them at least double the time.

Mike, those Trinity waders look nice. Got a better pic you could pm me as well as the price ?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Mike, those Trinity waders look nice. Got a better pic you could pm me as well as the price ?
    I don't, sorry Shaun. There was a high-res TIF pic on the Albright site, but I see the link is broken. I have PM'd you the price, etc.
    These Trinity waders come from the same factory that make Patagonia waders, which run a helluva lot more in price.

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Michael; 05-12-07 at 06:07 PM.

HAHAHA Funny how the tackle dealers jump in here....TACKLE WAR !!! Now all we need is Xplorer on here to....then we can have a lekker mud fight...heheh

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    If you still want an Explorer try to recolour them with permanent markers or something.
    Why not have a colour in competition

All the guys who have ever owned a pair of Simms G3's, are just smiling now and shaking their heads, wondering when the masses are finally going to see the light.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast