Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Sage Click Series reel

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    On light line rods you don't need a drag system. Simplicity, that's the beatuty of it all!
    Exactly! So get a composite plastic click-and-pawl reel, for like R 300.00! Same job, might even be lighter.

HOLY HELL MAN....think about it!!! R 3,200.00 for a click and pawl reel. is it just me??? Or is there something really WRONG there???

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Tail Nymph View Post
    Andre, do you perhaps own one of the 3000 series reels? If you do I would like to hear your expert opinion on why someone would buy that reel given the fact that there are so many better reels on the market at a better prices?

The Abel argument is still understandable for me, but R2 500 for a click and paul brake system is still beyond my logic...

Kind regards,
    PTN
    Yes I own three, a 3100, 3200, and a 3300. The drag on these reels is not the issue. They are super light trout reels and the click and pawl drag is simply a slow down mechanism, to prevent overwind, and not for the purpose of holding fish. Even fairly large , still water trout, are easily subdued. The advantage of this type of drag, is the absence of weighty mechanisms. Sure there are reels that cost less, and have stronger drag, but few as smooth and direct as the 3000 series. I have a couple of Abel AC 2's as well, and these are also click and pawl reels, designed for trout 'creek" fishing. I have used the Abel Creek for yellowfish, but I can tell you, it is hopeless, as unless you are quick to palm it, overwind is inevertable, but for still water trout, an amazing little reel. My yellowfish reel of choice is the Abel super 5N, which has a decent cork drag system, so it's different strokes for different applications.
    Sure they are above average price, but I have collected them over time, and really love them. I'm sure there are reels that are better when it comes to price/ value etc. Even performance. I'm not saying that Sage and Abel reels are the best, I just happen to like them a lot, and enjoy fishing with them.
    As far as Shilton is concerned, I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I believe they are good, and have served their owners well, and will probably be a better value prospect.
    It's always difficult to qualify what makes a reel better than another reel. One needs to consider the aplication. Some applications dont require an awesome drag. The drag system of a reel does not influence the price, nor the quality of the drag.

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Loop View Post
    PTN is right though...a click and pawl reel for over R3,100.00 is just crazy. What are you paying for then? Just the name? What does it REALLY benefit you on the Cape small streams? You could buy a R300.00 composite plastic click and pawl reel that will be just a light (if not lighter) and will do the same job!
    I personally just don't like plastic reels and I would think that the cheapies wouldn't have a smooth enough drag for the light tippets.

I have read Ed's article in FOSAF's newsletter a few months ago, and he mentioned that Vision produces a reel that is featherlight. At about R1 600.00, it seems a little better priced. How light do you want to go?

Kind regards,
    PTN

I personally just don't like plastic reels and I would think that the cheapies wouldn't have a smooth enough drag for the light tippets.
    Not fond of composite plastic reels either...I believe lighter reels are not always better. You have to balance the outfit (reel and rod), and going too light may just make the rods swing weight in the forward section too much.

But re what you say...remember on small streams the drag has almost zero influence on the take or to protect light tippets...most times you are fighting the fish off the reel, with only line in hand...not off the reel. Only the rod is dampening the fish'es pulls.

Not fond of composite plastic reels either...I believe lighter reels are not always better. You have to balance the outfit (reel and rod), and going too light may just make the rods swing weight in the forward section too much.

But re what you say...remember on small streams the drag has almost zero influence on the take or to protect light tippets...most times you are fighting the fish off the reel, with only line in hand...not off the reel. Only the rod is dampening the fish'es pulls.
    All correct here, I agree 100% with this, however, I don't need to justify to you or anyone else why I like a reel that costs R3000 odd. I like it, a lot, and if I want to, I will buy it. I did not say it was the best, just that I like it. "Best" is a preception, and subject to much debate. If I like it more than any other reel, for any reason, then to me , it's the best.
    Fly fishing is my passion, and I occasionally spoil myself with some decent tackle. Nothing wrong with this.

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Exactly! So get a composite plastic click-and-pawl reel, for like R 300.00! Same job, might even be lighter.

HOLY HELL MAN....think about it!!! R 3,200.00 for a click and pawl reel. is it just me??? Or is there something really WRONG there???
    Then again, I would fork out the money for that reel anyday, because I like it! You fools keep on hammering about the same shyte! I say if you want it buy it regardless of the price. It's exactly what I did with the 3100, I saved my money and got one.

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

I have read Ed's article in FOSAF's newsletter a few months ago, and he mentioned that Vision produces a reel that is featherlight. At about R1 600.00, it seems a little better priced. How light do you want to go?

Kind regards,
    PTN
    Read his latest article in the December/January edition of Flyfishing!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    All correct here, I agree 100% with this, however, I don't need to justify to you or anyone else why I like a reel that costs R3000 odd. I like it, a lot, and if I want to, I will buy it. I did not say it was the best, just that I like it. "Best" is a preception, and subject to much debate. If I like it more than any other reel, for any reason, then to me , it's the best.
    Fly fishing is my passion, and I occasionally spoil myself with some decent tackle. Nothing wrong with this.
    ...... and there is something incredibly satisfying in using quality equipment, surely? Some people prefer drinking a really good red wine (albeit at a premium price) whilst others (like those who seem to want to slate Sage all the time) are happy drinking plonk. I know which one I prefer.

You are truly a Sage marketer's dream...

The new Click series are really beautiful reels. I never really liked the colour schemes offered with the 3100's but these new ones are very nice. I may just treat myself to a Click III to match my 3wt TXL.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast