Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast

Thread: its largie time...

I'm happy with any largie that I can get
    But If I hooked one of those buses I dont think that I would stop shaking for a week
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Well I went out again today. Super cold and windy and the fishing was tough.
    Early in the day I missed a shot at a largie that I saw break surface next to rock pile because I was too slow at getting a fly to it. After hours of almost no fish activity I eventually hooked this beautifully marked smallmouth that took a MSP. It may not have been the largie that I was after but it was very rewarding considering the tough conditions
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew Schlosser

Awesome fish Andrew, well done. i see the barro wasnt that high to start and had a ugly drop to around 1016 mid morning. That beaut smallie was a bonus hey. Pitty about the largie. You will get him next time.

Thanks Andre! Ja, the weather was not pleasant at all but it was still a great day out. Far better than sitting at home and wishing that I was out fishing

Has anyone else been out for largies recently?
    Andrew Schlosser

Ja its not the best weather at the moment, and looks as if there are some nasty systems around. I also need to get out there. I am a bit concerned that when the water that was released from the Vaal dam (54cms) filters through the Barrage the viz that was getting better is going to be totally stuffed again, will have to wait and see what happens.

Apparently a small largie came out in Potch 2 weeks ago, but haven’t heard of much else.

Pretty fish andew, only seen those markings on sterkies fish before. I'm building up to a drift, maybe sunday
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

I have seen the occasional one on the Vaal but never as heavily marked as this one. That's the first thing I thought when I landed it, that it reminds me of a Sterkies SM. Good luck with the drift, I will most likely be fishing this coming weekend again too.
    Andrew Schlosser

Hey manne

For the first time ever I will be 'targeting' Largies. I have only caught one while nymphing for Smallies a while ago. That is as far as my Largie knowlegde stretches...

We will be using some sort of floatation device, whether its a duck or canoe or what I don't know. What is the standard operating procedure to catch Largies of a 'boat'? Obviously only one person casting at a time... Do you use an anchor of some sort?

What is the latest 'must have' Largie flies? Sizes? Colours?

Looking forward to any comments!

Use a few buggers, msp's and baitfish patterns. You can use an intermediate if you like, or a floating line with a nice long leader. Try find structure and holes. Take an anchor as we would usually stop and fish a spot for a while.
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

and when Ryan refers to anchor, he means two x Staysoft bottles stuffed with sand and rocks lashed together using round lashing and a clove hitch to end it all off...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast